Victims of crime may become eligible for immigration benefits, such as obtaining lawful permanent residence and citizenship, through different provisions of United States Immigration Law. To seek these provisions, if is highly recommended that you are represented by an experienced immigration lawyer, such as attorney Sufen Hilf.
1. VAWA (Violence Against Women Act), a spouse, parent, or child who is suffers extreme cruelty or battery may file a self petition for lawful permanent resident status. This can be done without the knowledge of the abuser. Despite the name of this immigration law, it applies to both men and women
2. Cuban Adjustment Act – applies to abused spouses of Cubans
3. Asylum – an alien who fled their home country because the government is unable or unwilling to protect him or her, can seek asylum in the United States. Furthermore, asylum is a possible defense to deportation.
4. Cancellation of Removal – a victim that is being deported can ask for cancellation of removal if he or she was abused by a spouse or parent that is a US citizen or green card holder (lawful permanent resident).
Aliens that are victims can receive temporary status in the United States under the following. Again, it is important to be represented by an experienced immigration lawyer for any of these provisions.
1. U visa – An alien who is the victim of a crime, that assists law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of that crime, may be eligible for a U visa. This requires certification by a police officer, law enforcement, or Court.
2. T visa – applies to an alien who is the victim of human trafficking, and assists law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of that crime.
3. S visa – authorizes the Secretary of Homeland Security to waive most grounds of inadmissibility for witnesses and informants that are assisting the government that otherwise are not legally allowed to enter or remain in the United States.
All of these areas of immigration law are very complex, and require the assistance of an experienced immigration lawyer, such as attorney Sufen Hilf. The immigration lawyer can help you obtain the proper documentation, file all necessary and relevant paperwork, and present your case in a manner that is through and compelling.
There also may be other avenues of immigration law that may assist an individual attempting to obtain lawful status in the United States that are not related to being a victim of a crime. It is important to consult with an immigration lawyer who can get a full, well rounded history of your and your family’s lives so that a determination can be made as to what form of immigration relief is best to pursue. An experienced immigration lawyer may even attempt to pursue several different sounds of potential immigration relief at the same time.
Hiring the right Immigration lawyer may be one of the most important decisions you make for yourself, your family, friends, and your employees. We have the experience, expertise, and commitment to work as your immigration lawyer. There are no amateur attorneys at Hilf & Hilf, PLC – only professionals that are guided by the humanity in the individuals we serve, and the drive not to settle for what is easy over what is right. We would like to meet with you, and formulate a plan for your success. Contact us today.